June was an excessively packed month for me. I had enthusiastically signed up to go on a trip to Nome AK with my friend Arlene months before I knew I would be interviewing candidates for two positions in our library. And, of course the interviews not only book-ended the trip, but they required part of the interview to be here in Pocatello and the other part over in Meridian (3 hours away).
My schedule looked like this:
- Mon June 4
- Tue June 5
- Candidate-1 interview at Meridian
- Lunch – Kona Grill (decent food, though I hate walking malls, I swear they are created in order to discriminate against everyone who is not thin and fit)
- Drive back to Pocatello.
- Wed June 6
- Candidate-2 interview at Pocatello
- Drive separately to Meridian.
- Dinner at the Goodwood BBQ (yummy bbq)
- Thu June 7
- Candidate-2 interview at Meridian
- Lunch – Ram Restaurant & Brewery (I must not eat here again, I was allergic to all of the things, though they had a nice menu and the flavors were fine)
The best part about lunch was when someone asked about plans for the weekend, and I had to admit I was going to Alaska. They were aghast that I wasn’t going to spend a week or two there.
- Go to Boise airport.
- Fly to Anchorage
- Fri June 8
- Fly to Nome
- Bird/walk around Nome
- Sat June 9
- Bird Tour Nome and the Teller road over to, well, Teller and back
- Sun June 10
- More hanging out in Nome, then Fly back to Anchorage
- Mon June 11
- Fly back to Boise then drive home to Pocatello
- Tue June 12
- Wed June 13
- Thu June 14
- Candidate-3 interview at Meridian
- Lunch at Ling & Louie’s Asian Bar & Grill (I found it mediocre, but that might have been just what I ordered, everyone else enjoyed theirs. I’ll have to try this place another day)
- Drop off candidate 3 at airport
- Meet Candidate-4 interview at Meridian
Dinner at Lucky Fin’s Seafood Grill (LOVE this restaurant, great fish)
- Drive to Twin Falls to spend the night.
- Fri June 15
- Drive to Pocatello in the morning.
- Candidate-4 interview Pocatello.
And rest. Phew. We hired two great people from this interview process. One now works in Meridian and the other in Pocatello. I also had an AMAZING experience in Nome. I’m going to have to create at least three blog posts to share the awesomeness.